Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Is there a perfect time?

When is the last time you had a family picture taken? Before your youngest even had their first tooth? Two children ago? 25 lbs ago? What has been holding you back from booking a family photo session?
Is there ever a perfect time to have photographs taken of your family?
It’s so easy to say-
“We have so much going on”
“I’m too fat”
“Sue is still in braces”
“We’re too busy”
“Maybe next year”

I just want to say STOP IT! We need to take the time to appreciate the value of family photos, if not for ourselves (because we’re too fat or whatever), then for our children. In 20 years, your children are not going to say, “I really love this photo but I wish my mom had waited until she lost some weight or that my sister was out of braces.”

I have had occasions in the past where this has been brought up with a sad reminder to me. Like the call I got just a few weeks after a wedding. We had some time before the reception and per the brides request we had taken some individual shots of the families that were there. One of those family shots was of an Uncle and his family. They called me wanting to know if they could get that picture right away as they wanted to use it at his funeral services. He had been out trimming a tree and taken a fall that was fatal. This was the only family pictures they had all together in many, many years.

I have had some humbling reminders of this again last week as I got a call to please come and take some family portraits before a beautiful and beloved daughter; sister, mother and friend had to have immediate surgery to remove cancer and then started immediate chemotherapy treatments.


We never know what tomorrow will bring. Life is quickly racing by. So my answer to my own question is, there is no “perfect” time to take a family picture, so as Nike would say, “Just do it”.


Thanks, to this family who allowed me to again share some special moments and trusted me to capture the language of love that their family speaks. Thanks for reminding me what is truly important.





No comments: